Thursday, June 12, 2008

Meeting Don the Andalusian

I am so honored to be working with this horse for a couple of weeks. We will do some riding and driving, and I'll spend time with him on the trails to build his confidence and improve his fitness. Mentor Pat Fitzgerald will give me some lessons on him, and among other things, I will learn to ride with my shoulders BACK. Wouldn't that make it a prettier picture?

This is the first time I've ridden Don. In the first video (above), after about a minute it gets a little more exciting as he spooks by the large back door. He is so smooth, even his spooks are comfortable!

This video shows me trying out his canter. He hasn't had much practice at the canter, and he sort of falls in, races at times, and suggests stopping each time we pass the mounting block. I am not complaining, however. He has the DREAMIEST canter I've ever ridden. Thanks, Don. I'm looking forward to our time together.

I hope to post another video of Don after I've worked more with him and hopefully we will see some improvement in my own riding as well.