Thursday, May 15, 2008

Diesel the Mule - early training


Diesel is an adorable pony mule that I have in for training to ride and drive. Here he is about 3 1/2 weeks in, and he's looking more fit and less furry.
This video is from day 9 of our training together. Here he's dragging a noisy septic tube, and wearing a bridle. I have the longe line attached to the halter, not the bit. I like them to get used to lots of different things "following" them, so when the cart follows them it will be no big deal. Diesel noticed that I wasn't able to hold the whip properly, and is taking advantage of that while I film with one hand.
Here is Diesel, again on the ninth day of training, and he's giving his first ride! This is my assistant, Slim Jim. Jim stays on through most things, and you can see he's a very relaxed rider. Jim rides while we practice long lining, too. Then when it's time for the real dummy to get on, (guess who that is), the horse is already accustomed to seeing somebody up there. Jim is made out of swim noodles and duct tape.

Currently we are beginning week 4, and Diesel does a nice job of walk and trot under saddle (carrying me now), and has been doing more driving focused training with "cart play", the blinker bridle, dragging poles and other things around.